Pages

Search This Blog

12 October, 2013

5 SKINCARE LESSONS LEARNT



Unlike past fashion mistakes which you can forget, (well kind off) past skincare mistakes take a bit longer to fix. Now I'm no longer in my 20s (where did those years go?) I've come a long way in my skincare needs and concerns. So skipping on facial SPF, forgetting to take my make up off and using face wipes may seem so convenient years ago but at least I've learnt my skincare lessons now, better late than never right?

1. Don't skip on a good moisturiser
Even though I have oily/combination skin, I always use a moisturiser to help keep my skin hydrated and control the natural oils on my face. I've been using The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Moisture Lotion for a while now as it works well for my skin. It's a lightweight formula, non greasy with SPF 15 protection. Protecting your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays is important to prevent premature ageing, wrinkles and sun spots.

Another great moisturiser that I use for when my skin is misbehaving and has blemishes is La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo, which works well at calming my skin and preventing further breakouts. I wish I knew about this product when I was younger!

2. Try and avoid alcohol based products
I used to use alcohol based face cleansers and toners, this did my oily skin no favours! Instead it felt tight, dry and lacking much needed moisture. Alcohol can also harm your skin's natural protective barrier. To take off my make up now a days, I've been using L'Oreal Paris Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution. It's made a positive difference to my skincare routine, gently removing my makeup and leaving my face feeling refreshed and non drying. I wouldn't suggest just relying on micellar waters to thoroughly clean your skin but it's a good first step.

3. Use natural and gentle facial cleansers 
There's a whole range of natural skin care products on the market and I'm currently enjoying using the Organic Surge Pure and Clean face wash, which is SLS free with natural and organic ingredients. I use it in the morning to wake up my skin, it feels gentle and has a pleasant scent of rosemary and citrus oil. In the evening I use the Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm. Using the hot muslin cloth really deep cleans my skin and it feels nice and soft afterwards. It also makes my skin look instantly brighter and my pores feel clean, which is always a good thing!

Using products with natural and organic ingredients has helped sooth my skin without any harsh chemicals.

4. Serums are your skins best friends
One key investment in your skin would be an intense serum, loaded with nourishing ingredients to really work into your skin overnight and during the day. I currently use Indeed Labs Pepta-bright, which is packed with active ingredients to help promote a brighter complexion. My skin tone does appear more even and firmer, it does has a odd scent but nothing too strong. Try and find a serum to target your skin needs such as dehydration or uneven skin tone, and use it daily before your moisturizer.

5. Don't forget an eye cream
No matter how young you are, no one wants dark circles, puffy eyes and under eye wrinkles so invest in a good eye cream to use morning and night. I had a skin analyst at Shiseido last year and they told me I have sun damage around my eyes! So I use an eye cream with SPF during the day and Organic Surge Eye Gel in the evening to help reduce puffiness and rejuvenate my eyes.



Have you committed any skincare mistakes? 

What skincare lessons have you learned?


Follow me on

You might also enjoy

A LONDON LIFESTYLE BLOG BY HANH

A LONDON LIFESTYLE BLOG BY HANH
Sharing content to inspire you to live a beautiful life inside and out.

Social


hanhabelle@gmail.com

Follow